"Building a Better Tomorrow Today"
The Mesa Police Department Explorer Post is dedicated to preparing young men and women, ages 14 to 18 years of age, for a future career in law enforcement by developing a fundamental understanding of police procedures, duties and concepts. The Mesa PD Explorer Post embraces a community service attitude, professionalism and requires ethics in all who are Explorers.
What is Law Enforcement Exploring?
Exploring is the young adult career education program of learning for life for both young men and women who are age 14 through 18 years of age. Law Enforcement Exploring is a youth development program centered on law enforcement careers. Law Enforcement Explorers might choose to take part in crime prevention activities, community policing, traffic control, fingerprinting, ride-alongs, patrol procedures and connecting activities with high schools, court systems and national state and local academies. The bottom line is that Law Enforcement Exploring is an action-oriented, hands-on career discovery program. Exploring is a division of the Boy Scouts of America.”
• Be 14 to 18 years of age. (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade.)
• Have a good moral character.
• Remain in school while in the program or until graduation.
• Maintain a "C" average or higher.
• Not have a serious police record.
• Take and pass a written exam.
• Be able to attend Explorer meetings.
• Be willing to volunteer your time to attend Explorer functions.
• Be willing to commit to the Explorer code and exemplify the professional image fo the Mesa Police Department.
Both male and female young adults who meet these requirements are encouraged to apply.
How do I apply?
• Obtain an application packet.
• Complete the application packet and bring it to an Explorer meeting.
• Complete and pass an interview.
• Complete a willingness questionnaire.
• Pass a background investigation.
• Explorer staff and advisors make a determination on acceptance or non-acceptance.
Explorers meet every Thursday at 5:30 p.m. Meetings are held at the Public Safety Training Facility
and typically last 3 hours. Please call 480-644-4000 to verify there is a meeting scheduled before attending.
If you wish to have an application packet mailed to you, please call 480-644-4000.