IT Engineer II - Enterprise IT GIS (Geographic Information System) Assignment
The current vacancy is in the Police Department.
The IT (Information Technology) Engineer II class provides skilled technical services in support of installation, configuration, testing, integration, and ongoing support for City applications or infrastructure requiring an in-depth knowledge of the City's platforms and environment in support of meeting availability and performance goals.
This class has a high level of responsibility for supported systems and projects and may be responsible for the success of medium- to large-sized systems. This class provides technical and design guidance for projects and systems, and highly specialized, advanced technical guidance may be needed from higher-level classes. This class provides technical leadership for one or more specific areas and may provide technical mentoring to any lower-level classes. Incumbents in this class assist management in planning, directing, and coordinating operational or procedural matters to meet goals and objectives and may function as customer liaison, project leader, and/or technical advisor. Employees in this class are required to participate in team on-call support, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This class is FLSA exempt-computer professional.
Enterprise IT GIS Assignment: Gathers requirements and business analyst responsibilities for the multiple functions or complex customer solutions. Independently performs application development and coding and configuration management in alignment with set standards. Performs diagnostics and troubleshooting in support of designated applications, including custom-built, as well as commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) solutions and databases. The IT Engineer II is expected to have a comprehensive understanding of one or more of the technologies supported, and mentors and actively shares this expertise with others. The IT Engineer II will also create, modify, and maintain web-based applications and dashboards including participation in standard testing practices and change management, serving as change owner where applicable.
About the Ideal Candidate for the Enterprise IT GIS Assignment:
- Motivated self-starter with strong skills in SQL, Excel, data mining, unstructured information analysis, data modeling, visualizations, data warehousing, usability design, functional requirements analysis and business analytics.
- Ability to own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing information models, metrics, reports, and dashboards that are timely, accurate, and actionable to improve decision making at all levels of the City.
- Highly proficient with written and verbal communication, customer service, teamwork, project leadership, report writing, and visual presentations.
- Preferred skills and experience with Power BI, Python or R, SQL Server Management Studio, GIS (ESRI), data management tools (Informatica or similar), and data translation tools (FME) are a plus.
- Considerable (3-5 years) experience in one or more of the following: data or business analytics, business intelligence, data management, BI modeling and visualizations, data integration, statistics, or equivalent role is preferred.
- Qualifications & Requirements
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required. Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, such as Engineering or Geography (by assignment). Considerable (3 - 5 years) computer systems experience in at least one of the following technical support areas: Applications, Database, Desktop, Geographic Information System (GIS), Network, Security, Server, or Web Support.
Special Requirements. For this position, an individual receiving a conditional offer of employment from the City of Mesa must pass a background investigation through the City of Mesa Police Department, the Arizona Department of Public Safety, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation prior to commencing employment with the City of Mesa (by assignment). Because of the confidential, sensitive nature of information handled, successful completion of a background investigation and polygraph is required (by assignment). Must possess a valid Arizona Driver's License by hire or promotion date (by assignment).
Substance Abuse Testing. Due to the safety and/or security sensitive nature of the assignment, individuals in this classification shall be subject to pre-employment or pre-placement alcohol, drug and/or controlled substance testing as outlined in City policy and procedures (Police Department Assignment).
Preferred/Desirable Qualifications. Good (1 - 3 years) project or technical leadership experience is highly desirable and may be required (by assignment). Customer service and teamwork experience is also highly desirable. Supervisory experience may be preferred (by assignment).
- Link to Job Description